Shine! Opening Event
Veszprém and the Bakony-Balaton region will launch the European Capital of Culture programme year on 21st and 22nd January 2023 with a spectacular celebration and accompanying cultural events to mark the 200th anniversary of the birth of the Hungarian national anthem and the Day of Hungarian Culture. Music, dance, art and regional gastronomic delights await for two days and beyond. Join us to open the year of the ECoC title together!
Activities for the official opening of the ECoC programme year start days before the grand launch event, so it is a good idea to arrive in the region early.
The renewed permanent exhibition of the House of Arts Veszprém will open at 17.00 on 17th January in Dubniczay Palace, and from 18.00 onwards, a new temporary exhibition will focus on Balaton retro, with objects and paper relics from around Lake Balaton between 1930 and 1980.
On the same day, Veszprém's Papírkutya (Paper Dog) will host one of the UK's most dynamic emerging artists. From 19.00, Sebastian Schub will bring his unique style of Irish folk, gritty American soul and blues.
The House of Arts awaits art enthusiasts with another exhibition opening: from 18.00 the exhibition of Munkácsy Award-winning artist Gyula Várnai will open in Csikász Gallery.t
On the same day, from 16.30, you can take a walking tour of Veszprém, courtesy of Tourinform, while the University of Pannonia is hosting an open day in the great hall of Building B for those who are about to choose a career or want to go back to school.
If you missed Sebastien Schub's concert the previous evening, you can catch him from 7pm on this day and on 19th January, as the British music wizard will be performing twice more on the Papírkutya stage.
A group exhibition of Hungarian and international glass artists will open at the House of Arts from 18.00.
On Art Collectors' Day, there will be another exhibition opening at the House of Arts from 16:00, and two more. KULTUR.KONTAKT.KONKRET will present the Schroth Collection, and from 18.00 there will be an exhibition of works by female artists from the László Vass Collection.
The Archdiocese of Veszprém will give an insight into the process of the restoration of church buildings from 14.00 and 16.00. Visitors can take part in guided tours, where they will not only learn about the investments but also about the history of the town.
In the evening, at TEREM, from 20.00, you can relax to an improvisation concert by Lithuanian Daumantas Lukosiunas, who plays improvisation music on instruments such as the shaman drum, the gong and the bass guitar.
21st JANUARY - OPENING CEREMONY DAY
On 21st January, the official opening day of the ECoC programme year, grand performances await everyone who visits Kossuth Street and its surroundings.
On the stage in Szent Imre Square, fans of folk music and folk dance are welcome, while in the square in front of Mackó Confectionery bar pianists will dazzle the admirers of the genre. In the square in front of City Hall, singing will be in focus: choirs from Veszprém and the region will sing for and with the audience.
In Papírkutya, jazz, blues and soul daredevils will impress the audience all day long, and in Expresszó, the family party starts at 10 am, with a special electronic music party for all ages.
In Kirakat, the talented musicians of the Little Moon production will play from 2 pm until midnight, while in Petőfi Theatre Veszprém, fans of operetta, theatre and literature will find the performance they like.
On this day, there will also be four guided walks (10.00, 12.00, 14.00, 16.00), courtesy of the Archdiocese of Veszprém, where you can get an insight into the works in progress and the history of the town.
From 20.00 to 21.00, the opening ceremony will take place in three locations: Old Town Square, Kossuth Street and the Castle, with spectacular performances. Light painting, music, dance, special choreographies and spectacular elements will weave through the streets of downtown Veszprém, bringing to life the history of the city, the diversity and values of the region and all that we can be proud of.
After the opening performances, the main entertainment will take place: electronic music DJs will spin records in Óváros Square from 9pm to 1am, while Necc Party will take place in front of the Central Post Office, bringing party-goers the delicacies of the 90s and 2000s.
22nd January – The Day of Hungarian Culture
On 22nd January, there will be another Veszprém Walk, courtesy of Tourinform, and the Archdiocesan Walks will continue at four times (10.00, 12.00, 14.00, 16.00). House of Arts will have exhibitions all day from 10.00 until 8.00, and at KUNSZT! you can see the thought-provoking works of Lithuanian photographer Remis Ščerbauskas.
And when it comes to exhibitions: in Balatonfüred, a major exhibition by Imre Bak will open at 16.00 at Vaszary Gallery.
Two performances await theatre lovers at Hangvilla. The production of The Hammer of the Village starts at 20.00, and János Háy's reading theatre performance of Karaffa - It's me begins at 18.30.
From 17.00 in the University of Pannonia's great hall, Ádám Bősze and Krisztián Nyáry will perform with the Mendelssohn Orchestra. The focus will be on the 200th anniversary of the birth of 'Hymn'.
In Papírkutyva we meet a participant of the InterUrban project: the 2022 ECoC title holder city of Kaunas. The quintet CinAmono from Kaunas will perform playful improvisations on stage from 8 pm.
We can help you go green at your festival! When you plan to travel to our events, you can make a difference by making choices that help reduce your environmental impact!
Sustainability is one of the core values of the Veszprém-Balaton 2023 European Capital of Culture programme, so that our events are environmentally sustainable. As the return journey is usually one of the most polluting activities for events, it is important for us to encourage people to choose less polluting modes of transport.
- BALATON + RETRO EXHIBITION OPENING Veszprém BALATON + RETRO EXHIBITION – ADVERTISING AND PROPAGANDA FOR THE IDEAL HOLIDAY Dubniczay Palace / Castle Gallery, Magtár Gallery Exhibition opening: 17.01.2023 /Tuesday/ 18.00 On view: 18.01.2023 – 05.03.2023 House of Arts Veszrpém - Dubniczay Palace 8200 Veszprém, Vár utca 29 17/01/2023 18:00 - 17/01/2023
- Tegularium / Brick Collection exhibition opening Veszprém The Tegularium reopens with an expanded exhibition with new collection pieces. At the historical permanent exhibition of Veszprém Brick we can learn more about the influence of one of our most basic building materials on the history of industry, art and civilization. House of Arts Veszrpém - Dubniczay Palace / Tegularium 8200 Veszprém, Vár utca 29 17/01/2023 17:00 - 17/01/2023
- Sebastian Schub (DE/GB) concerts Veszprém Sebastian Schub is one of the UKs most exciting up-and-coming artists. Papírkutya 8200 Veszprém, Szabadság tér 9 17/01/2023 - 19/01/2023
- Gyula Várnai: Another Zodiac - Solo Exhibition Opening Veszprém The Munkácsy Prize-winning artist's exhibition of his new works entitled Another Zodiac presents objects and acoustic and video installations in Veszprém that reflect on the relationship between nature, mankind, matter and time. House of Arts Veszprém - Csikász Gallery 8200 Veszprém, Vár utca 17 18/01/2023 18:00 - 18/01/2023
- University of Pannonia Open House Veszprém Visitors can learn about the wide range of courses offered by the university and take part in information sessions as well as laboratory visits. Pannon Egyetem aula ("B" épület) 8200 Veszprém, Egyetem utca 10 18/01/2023 - 18/01/2023
- Glass Focus Group - art exhibition opening Veszprém The contemporary international glass art exhibition features a selection of recent works by George William Bell (USA, UK), Alexander Kirkeby (DK), Gergely Pattantyús (HU) and Balázs Telegdi (HU, DK). The exhibition is organised in collaboration with the Embassy of the Kingdom of Denmark. House of Arts Veszprém - Dubniczay Palace 8200 Veszprém, Vár utca 29 19/01/2023 18:00 - 19/01/2023
- GLASS FOCUS GROUP EXHIBITION Veszprém The contemporary international glass art exhibition features a selection of recent works by George William Bell (USA, UK), Alexander Kirkeby (DK), Gergely Pattantyús (HU) and Balázs Telegdi (HU, DK). The exhibition is organised in collaboration with the Embassy of the Kingdom of Denmark. House of Arts Veszprém - Dubniczay Palace 8200 Veszprém, Vár utca 29 20/01/2023 - 16/04/2023
- ART COLLECTORS’ DAY- STRUCTURAL HARMONIES Exhibition Opening Veszprém A selection of works by female artists in the László Vass Collection. House of Arts Veszprém - Modern Art Gallery – László Vass Collection 8200 Veszprém, Vár utca 3 20/01/2023 18:00 - 20/01/2023 19:00
- Insight into the WIP'23 - WORK IN PROGRESS exhibition Veszprém On the opening weekend of the ECoC, the Gizella Museum of the Archdiocese of Veszprém offers an extraordinary opportunity to get a personal insight into the moments of the historic investment that have taken place and will take place from 2021 to 2025. Gizella Királyné Múzeum 8200 Veszprém, Vár utca 35 20/01/2023 - 22/01/2023
- ART COLLECTORS' DAY - CENTURY. idee bauhaus. Opening Event Veszprém For lovers of fine art, architecture or design the Bauhaus is a great classic. The drj project CENTURY. idee bauhaus exhibition features 100 contemporary artists reflecting on the work of the legendary art school. House of Arts Veszprém - Dubniczay Palace 8200 Veszprém, Vár utca 29 20/01/2023 16:00 - 20/01/2023
- ART COLLECTORS’ DAY KULTUR.KONTAKT.KONKRET Veszprém More than 100 international contemporary artworks from the SCHROTH COLLECTION will travel from Soest in Germany to Veszprém for a special exhibition. The exhibition is organised in collaboration with the Modern Art Gallery – László Vass Collection. House of Arts Veszprém - Dubniczay Palace 8200 Veszprém, Vár utca 29 21/01/2023 - 05/03/2023
- OPENING - InterUrban - Daumantas Lukosiunas concert Veszprém How can you play various instruments from different cultures at the same time? The Lithuanian musician will show you in his improvisation concert! EKF Kossuth utcai iroda 8200 Veszprém, Kossuth Lajos utca 3 21/01/2023 21:00 - 21/01/2023 22:15
- OPENING - Folk music / folk dance Veszprém In addition to folk music from home, the repertoire of the bands also includes folk songs and dance music from the Carpathian Basin and other nationalities. Performers are dedicated to the performance, preservation and transmission of Hungarian folk music and folk dance to younger generations. Veszprém, Szent Imre tér 8200 Veszprém, Szent Imre tér 21/01/2023 14:00 - 21/01/2023 19:00
- OPENING – Choirs Veszprém The choral movement continues to be the largest worldwide receiver for amateurs wishing to make music. Our city and the region have a long tradition in this area, but we also want to set an example for future generations to show them the rich variety of children's and adult choirs in the region. Városháza előtti tér 8200 Veszprém, Óváros tér 21/01/2023 14:00 - 21/01/2023 19:00
- OPENING – Expresszó Veszprém Hungary's only family electronic music party series. Because we don't care about age! Expresszó 8200 Veszprém, Brusznyai Árpád utca 2 21/01/2023 10:00 - 21/01/2023 13:00
- OPENING – Óváros (Old Town) Square Grand Electronic Event Veszprém After our opening show at Old Town Square, the evening will be rounded off with electronic music, featuring the famous Vienna-based DJ duo Kruder & Dorfmeister as well as DJs K-lu (Timișoara) and Ad:Mark (Elefsina), representing the other two European Capitals of Culture 2023. Óváros tér 8200 Veszprém, Óváros tér 21/01/2023 21:00 - 22/01/2023 01:00
- OPENING – Post Office square / Electronic music event Veszprém The real 90's-00's music freakshow, all that's risqué! Posta előtti tér 8200 Veszprém, Kossuth Lajos utca 19 21/01/2023 21:00 - 22/01/2023 01:00
- OPENING – House of Arts Veszprém Veszprém Művészetek Háza 8200 Veszprém, Vár utca 21/01/2023 10:00 - 21/01/2023 22:00
- OPENING – Bar Pianists Veszprém This genre, which has a history of at least 100 years, is special in its diverse and multifaceted quality, with practitioners who are equally at home in both classical and popular music. Veszprém, Megyeház tér 8200 Veszprém, Megyeház tér 21/01/2023 14:00 - 21/01/2023 19:00
- OPENING - Papírkutya (Paper Dog) Veszprém Papírkutya (Paper Dog) Culture Bistro has been a long-standing supporter of live music, and a particular fan of jazz, so on this special day, it provides a late breakfast or early lunch with its invited musicians in an uplifting atmosphere. So let's have breakfast, lunch and dinner to jazz! Papírkutya 8200 Veszprém, Szabadság tér 9 21/01/2023 14:00 - 21/01/2023 19:00
- OPENING – Little Moon Veszprém The Little Moon songwriting evenings in Veszprém provide a showcase for talented but little-known artists and a meeting point for local musicians. Veszprém Veszprém 21/01/2023 - 21/01/2023
- OPENING – Petőfi Theatre of Veszprém Veszprém Veszprémi Petőfi Színház 8200 Veszprém, Óvári Ferenc út 2 21/01/2023 - 21/01/2023
- OPENING – Archdiocese of Veszprém Veszprém Insight into the WIP'23 - WORK IN PROGRESS exhibition Veszprémi Érsekség Gizella Múzeuma 8200 Veszprém, Vár utca 35 21/01/2023 10:00 - 21/01/2023 16:00
- ART COLLECTORS' DAY- CENTURY. idee bauhaus. Veszprém For lovers of fine art, architecture or design the Bauhaus is a great classic. The drj project CENTURY. idee bauhaus exhibition features 100 contemporary artists reflecting on the work of the legendary art school. House of Arts Veszprém - Dubniczay Palace 8200 Veszprém, Vár utca 29 21/01/2023 - 05/03/2023
- ART COLLECTORS’ DAY- STRUCTURAL HARMONIES Veszprém A selection of works by female artists in the László Vass Collection House of Arts Veszprém - Modern Art Gallery – László Vass Collection 8200 Veszprém, Vár utca 3 21/01/2023 - 30/06/2023
- VASS SHOE GALLERY – permanent exhibition on shoe history Veszprém By presenting classic footwear, the SHOE GALLERY gives you an insight into the secrets of a dying craft: presenting the tricks of shoe making, the moments of the professional techniques, how VASS SHOES, a high-quality product appreciated in contemporary fashion is made using traditional technology. House of Arts Veszprém - Modern Art Gallery – László Vass Collection 8200 Veszprém, Vár utca 3 21/01/2023 - 30/12/2023
- Milonga at the Óváros square Online We are organising the first milonga of Veszprém in 2023 at a special venue in the framework of the European Capital of Culture program opening ceremony. Online Saiko No Sushi 8200 Veszprém, Óváros tér 24 21/01/2023 15:30 - 21/01/2023 17:30
- Imre Bak's exhibition opening at Vaszary Gallery Balatonfüred The exhibition at Vaszary Gallery in Balatonfüred is the first time that Imre Bak's series created between 2004 and 2022 are presented, showing the development of his oeuvre. Vaszary Galéria 8230 Balatonfüred, Honvéd utca 2 22/01/2023 16:00 - 22/01/2023 17:30
- Old Town Market - 22nd January Veszprém Good atmosphere, friendly conversations, shared breakfasts, clean, quality and local ingredients. Shopping bags, baskets, perhaps canvas bags. Everyone goes to the market for different reasons and in different ways, but once you get a taste of the market, you'll get hooked. Óváros tér 8200 Veszprém, Óváros tér 22/01/2023 09:00 - 22/01/2023 17:00
- InterUrban - CinAmono concert (LT) Veszprém Imagine that you're in your favourite café, having a wonderful time and you can't help but smile! This is exactly the feeling of life that the Lithuanian orchestra brings to you, amplifying it with their music. Papírkutya 8200 Veszprém, Szabadság tér 9 22/01/2023 20:00 - 22/01/2023 21:00
- Day of Hungarian Culture Veszprém The great Hymn story Pannon Egyetem Aula 8200 Veszprém, Egyetem utca 10 22/01/2023 17:00 - 22/01/2023
- Kabóca Puppet Theatre: Csalimese (Tricky Tale) Veszprém Kabóca Puppet Theatre is preparing to present the Hungarian folk tale Csalimese (Tricky Tale). Hangvilla stúdióterem 8200 Veszprém, Brusznyai Árpád utca 2 22/01/2023 15:00 - 22/01/2023
- Veszprém Recites Together Veszprém On 22nd January 2023 - the Day of Hungarian Culture - on the 200th birthday of 'Hymn', we will celebrate Kölcsey's work with our initiative "VESZPRÉM RECITES TOGETHER"! The management of Petőfi Theatre of Veszprém invites the people of Veszprém to the theatre gardens to recite 'Hymn' together. Veszprémi Petőfi Színház kertje 8200 Veszprém, Óvári Ferenc út 2 22/01/2023 - 22/01/2023
- A Festival of Adams and Eves Veszprém The Festival of Adams and Eves: launched 10 years ago among secondary school students on the occasion of the Day of Hungarian Culture. Our goal is what we believe in: to teach, to set an example, to build community, to create experiences through theatre! Veszprémi Petőfi Színház 8200 Veszprém, Óvári Ferenc út 2 22/01/2023 - 22/01/2023
- The Hammer of the Village Veszprém On the 200th anniversary of the birth of Sándor Petőfi, Forte Company is preparing for the premiere of the comic epic The Hammer of the Village. Veszprém, Hangvilla 8200 Veszprém, Brusznyai Árpád utca 2 22/01/2023 20:00 - 22/01/2023 21:30
- InterUrban - Photo exhibition Remis Ščerbauskas (LT) Veszprém People, cities, objects, all photographed in a way that makes up a whole film. The Lithuanian artist captures the moment so masterfully that you are left wondering for long minutes what the story behind the photo is. Kunszt 8200 Veszprém, Óváros tér 1 23/01/2023 09:00 - 05/02/2023 16:00
- InterUrban - Movie screening and meet and greet: Klostés Veszprém Where is the history of a city hiding? In personal stories, in the stones of buildings, in the layers of collective consciousness. Pannon Egyetem E épület, Kamaraterem 8200 Veszprém, Egyetem utca 3 24/01/2023 19:00 - 24/01/2023 22:00