It is no coincidence that artists like to go to Lake Balaton, to the monadnocks or into the Bakony forests to find inspiration. The landscape and the built environment, the culture, the traditions, and the rich heritage found here not only reinforce our local identity, but through creative communities and their art, convey the history and values that have shaped and continue to shape the city and the region to this day.
We want to show that tradition, the mementoes of a location’s history,are not simplynostalgic objects of the past, but a living heritage, a vital force that shapes ourpresent identity. It is an integral part of our everyday life and personality. As we look into the mirror with ourmodern eye, we look at a reflection, or rather,a multitude of reflections. We see our region's role in the history of European art, public life, and politics. We recall the almost-forgotten histories of families, the faces of characters and the micro-communities that could still be inspirational and leave meaningfulmessages forus today. We are learning to recognise the gifts of nature and culture through those historical mirrors and interpretations of artists who come here, and we hope that as yet unknown domains will open to us. Immersed in an identity-affirming or a critical perspective of the reflections, we try to take stock of who we are and the components of our identity.
Reflection projectsMore projects
- Szél Street Israelite Cemetery Memorial Park Category: Reflection projects The Szél Street Israelite Cemetery was opened in the 1730s by Jewish families who settled in the city. Burials on the site were terminated in 1882 because the ground was extremely rocky. Over a century and a half, some 450 people were buried there. In the last century, some gravestones have been removed, broken and many were covered with soil over time.
- Art Residency Programmes Category: Reflection projects Fresh artistic currents inspired by Lake Balaton
- Boglár 50 Category: Reflection projects Unexpected Culture.
Reflection eventsMore events
- József Egry 140 exhibition Veszprém Who is the Hungarian painter who concentrated on Lake Balaton with every nerve and every flicker of his body, who lived in a special symbiosis with the lake and the landscape, who was already considered a painter of Lake Balaton in his lifetime? Beyond question, it is József Egry.
- József Egry 140 exhibition opening Veszprém Who is the Hungarian painter who concentrated on Lake Balaton with every nerve and every flicker of his body, who lived in a special symbiosis with the lake and the landscape, who was already considered a painter of Lake Balaton in his lifetime? Beyond question, it is József Egry.
- Tegularium / Brick Collection Veszprém The Tegularium reopens with an expanded exhibition with new collection pieces. At the historical permanent exhibition of Veszprém Brick we can learn more about the influence of one of our most basic building materials on the history of industry, art and civilization.